Many downtown property and business owners met at City Hall to discuss a couple of projects that would stabilize and revitalize the City’s downtown area. City Staff along with representatives from the Northwest Development District explained a grant through the Tennessee Economic and Community Development that is offered for improvements to the exterior of downtown buildings. With enough interest and need the City of Paris will be applying for this grant. Information about the grant is as follows:
Important Information for Potential Grantees!
- Maximum grant request will be determined by the Selection Committee. Your project total may be greater than this amount. As the grantee you will be responsible for paying 25% of the total project cost OR the amount over the maximum grant request, whichever is greater.
- For owners of buildings 50 years of age or older, (assuming award) all work plans must be approved by the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) prior to renovation efforts. Your grant application should provide sufficient information for SHPO review. This is not a lengthy process and typically takes 3 days for approval. The City of Paris will assist you with this process.
- Do not begin work on your renovations without prior approval from the City of Paris. The City of Paris will ensure that all documentation is in place so that your contractor can be reimbursed.
- This is a reimbursable-type grant program utilizing Department of Housing and Urban Development funding. All work must be bid through a public bid process. This bid process will be facilitated by The City of Paris.
- Assuming award, any changes to your proposed Scope of Work must be approved by The City of Paris prior to construction. This is to ensure that all changes meet ECD approval and are eligible for reimbursement.
- Please be as thorough as possible when completing your application. Any building history, past uses, and future uses should be noted. Some of our downtown buildings have quite a story to tell; share it with us in your application.
- Remember: All improvements funded under this grant must occur on the exterior of the building, readily visible by passing pedestrians. Please contact The City of Paris. with any questions you may have prior to obtaining construction estimates.
- If you should have any questions concerning your project, this grant opportunity, or a potential project; please contact Jennifer Morris at (731)-641-1410 or via email email@example.com
A Selection Committee member may not vote on a project in which they have ownership. A committee member may not unduly influence the decision of the committee when considering a project said committee member has controlling interest in.
To view or print the Draft Application for the Downtown Facade Grant please visit the Draft Application Page