The City of Paris will be accepting applications for Codes/Building Inspector. Applications will be accepted until 4:30 p.m. on Friday, July 17, 2020.
The City of Paris is an equal opportunity employer. Employees of the City of Paris must establish residence in Henry County within 6 months of their hire date. Applications and a complete job description may be obtained at the City Business Office, 100 North Caldwell Avenue, Paris, Tennessee 38242 or online www.cityofparistn.gov.
If accessibility assistance is needed contact ADA Coordinator Jennifer Morris @ 731-641-1410.
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR CODES / BUILDING INSPECTOR
Nature of Work
This is primarily a field inspection and investigation position responsible for the enforcement of housing standards and insuring compliance with current building codes and related regulations. This position is also responsible for the implementation and enforcement of the City’s MS4 permit. Individual develops and executes programs with considerable technical independence according to accepted principles and in conformance with the general policies prescribed by the City Planning Commission and the City Commission.
General direction is received from the City Manager or his designee, but the employee must exercise wide discretion and independent judgment in managing the department. Work is reviewed through conferences, inspection, and review of reports.
Illustrative Examples of Work
- Inspects new and existing construction to insure minimum compliance with housing standards.
- Inspects new construction, alterations, and repairs while in progress and upon completion to insure compliance with the approved plans and specifications and the current building codes.
- Inspects structures being brought into code compliance and site of buildings being razed.
- Attends meetings related to housing and storm water.
- Checks plans and specifications for code and permit compliance and recommends necessary changes to make them compliant if necessary.
- Makes on-site inspections, to include those in the interest of public safety and health.
- Reviews and discusses construction, alteration, and repair activities with property owners, contractors, and other interested and affected parties to insure compliance with all codes, regulations and permits.
- Makes special investigations upon special request or specific complaints.
- Monitors all construction related activities, notes any violations of codes, regulations or permits, and, if necessary, takes appropriate enforcement action.
- Prepares inspection reports noting conditions found, actions taken, recommendations given, and other information as necessary.
- Interprets and enforces the current building code in effect.
- Consults with contracted engineer for guidance in storm water management administration.
- Primarily responsible for all correspondence relating to the enforcement of current building code and storm water permit.
- Reviews plans and issues building permits.
- Issues Certificate of Occupancy upon compliant completion of construction.
- Keeps informed of new construction materials and methods.
- Makes interpretations on technical issues regarding the building, mechanical, and plumbing disciplines.
- Prepares and recommends amendments and revisions to the Municipal Code relating to the Codes/Building Department and Storm Water Management.
- Makes routine/unannounced inspections throughout the city to insure conformance with the Municipal Code.
- May make talks and give presentations on building regulations and building safety to civic, professional, and other organizations.
- Prepares and manages departmental budget.
- Works closely with the Zoning Department to insure compliance with all regulations and codes.
- Performs related work as required.
Desirable Knowledge, Ability, Skill
Extensive knowledge of modern construction methods, practices, materials, and equipment as applied to approval of plans and specifications and the inspection of buildings and structures.
- Thorough knowledge of current building code, Municipal Code, Ordinances, state statutes and the rules and regulations pursuant thereto affecting the operations and functions of the Building/Codes Department and storm water management.
- Knowledgeable of building, plumbing, and mechanical construction to insure compliance with appropriate codes.
- Knowledgeable of the legal problems and procedures involved in the prosecution of persons violating the laws administered.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and professional relationships with contractors, general public, public officials, and all other clients while still enforcing building and zoning regulations with firmness and tact.
- Ability to apply the principles and practices of organization, personnel, and financial management of the operation of a municipal department.
- Ability to speak and communicate effectively in public.
- Ability to utilize the latest available technology in an efficient manner.
- Ability manage correspondence and other administrative details.
Desirable Training and Experience
Minimum of a high school diploma with ten (10) years’ experience in a building construction trade at the journeyman or higher level, or a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university with major course work in construction management, business administration, engineering, architecture, or other related field.
Either possess, or will obtain, all state mandated certifications associated with the position within one (1) year of employment and maintain these certifications throughout employment. (Res. #1472, 01/06/11)