Determining Whether a Permit is Required



Permit Information

The Building Inspector conducts inspections on all residential and commercial construction projects inside the city limits.
The City of Paris has adopted the 2018 International Building, Residential, Plumbing, Mechanical, Fuel Gas, and Existing Building Codes.  The Paris Fire Department has adopted the 2018 NFPA with Life Safety 101 for Fire Protection Codes. (See Codes Adopted)

The Board of Public Utilities handles all Electrical inspections and currently enforces the 2008 National Electric Code.

Building Permits are required to:

  • Construct a building
  • Alter or remodel a building (interior or exterior)
  • Repair a building
  • Move a building
  • Demolish a building
  • Change the occupancy of a building
  • Adding or replacing a deck (over 200sf)
  • Building or placing an accessory building (over 200sf) on your property

For an application click: Building Permit Application (you may print the application, fill it out and submit it to the City Business Office at 100 North Caldwell in Downtown Paris)

To submit an application online:  Building Permit Submittal

Driveway Connections or Curb Cuts:

  • In residential areas whether the work is for a curb cut, driveway entrance or installation of a culvert, a permit is required.  There is no fee for this permit.
  • In commercial areas a permit is also required for a curb cut, driveway entrance or installation of a culvert or any type of drainage structure.  There is no fee for this permit.

For an application click:  Curb Cut/Driveway Connection Permit


Mechanical Permits are required to:

  • Add or replace HVAC equipment
  • Add or replace a gas water heater
  • Add,  modify, or replace gas piping
  • Add, modify, or replace a commercial exhaust hood (kitchen, paint booth, etc.)


Plumbing Permits are required to:

  • Add or move plumbing fixtures
  • Modify or replace waste drainage system (Galvanized to PVC, etc.)
  • Modify or replace water distribution system (copper to PEX, etc.)
  • Sewer connection


Electrical Permits:

  • All Electrical Inspections are scheduled thru the BPU and conducted by a State Electrical Inspector


Yard Sale Registration:

  • Yard Sales are required to be registered (No Fee)
  • Sale can run for maximum of 4 consecutive days
  • Allowed 4 sales in a calendar year



If a project is in excess of $25,000, a Tennessee Contractor’s License and proof of Workers Compensation Insurance are required.

Please review the Minimum Building Permit Requirements for additional information required before applying for a building permit.
For Permit and related fees please review the Fee Schedule.

*An owner may act as general contractor to build his own residence to live in (1 house every 2 years).
Permit and Insurance requirements still apply.