The City of Paris will be accepting applications for the position of Parks Maintenance I in the Parks and Recreation Department. Applications for the position will be accepted until 4:30 p.m., Friday, October 2, 2020 and may be obtained at the City Business Office, 100 North Caldwell Avenue, Paris, Tennessee 38242.
Should you have any questions in regards to this position please contact Tony Lawrence @ 731-644-2517.
If accessibility assistance is needed contact ADA Coordinator Jennifer Morris @ 731-641-1410.
PARKS MAINTENANCE I -JOB DESCRIPTION
Nature of Work
This is manual labor in the performance of unskilled and limited semi-skilled tasks of a physically demanding nature. Work involves responsibility for performing heavy manual labor or related servicing tasks in Public Works, Parks, and general construction and maintenance activities. As work experience is gained, employees of this class may be assigned to somewhat more difficult and responsible tasks. Work assignments are detailed and are performed under supervision.
Illustrative Examples of Work
- Works as a member of Parks Department maintenance crew performing various functions such as operating tractors, bush hogs and mowers, pouring concrete, and raking, tamping, and smoothing dirt; digs out holes with manual and automatic digging tools; fills depressions with rock, gravel, or other materials. Picks up debris in parks and cleans drainage ditches and restroom facilities.
- Performs a variety of grounds maintenance work; plants, waters, sprays, and trims trees, greens, shrubbery and flowers; mows grass; maintains park or ball field grounds.
- Assists in installing and maintaining signs; picks up leaves and refuse; assists in the maintenance of right-of-ways and fences; and paints buildings and equipment.
- Performs minor maintenance on mowers and other small engines.
- Performs related work as required.
Desirable Knowledges, Abilities and Skills
- Ability to acquire some skill in the use of standard equipment and hand tools used in the area of assignment.
- Ability to perform manual labor for extended periods and under unfavorably weather conditions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with employees and the public.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Desirable Training and Experience
Graduation from a standard high school, successful completion of GED, or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this job will be considered. Some experience in mechanical repairs or as a laborer or helper in varied maintenance and construction work preferable. Must possess a valid Tennessee Driver’s License.